Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Shepherd's Pie

Whew! What a busy evening! My 6th grader was inducted into the Junior Beta Club tonight, so I had to be smart about our dinner plans. I prepped this meal in about 10 minutes before we left for the ceremony, then assembled it and threw it in the oven when we got home a few minutes ago. It will bake for 20 minutes, and we'll be ready to eat! Some people add mixed vegetables to their shepherd's pie, but we like ours plain and simple. I've been excited about the feedback that I've gotten about my recipes. I ran into several people this week who have already tried some of them! Hope you enjoy this one...
Ingredients:
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 large chopped onion
(I use Pictsweet frozen chopped onions to save prep time.)
8 servings instant mashed potatoes
shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 can beef broth
salt and pepper
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Brown ground beef and onion. Season with salt and pepper. (I use the leanest ground beef you can buy, so it doesn't even have to be drained. Of course, you'll have to drain it if it's a fattier ground beef.)
3. Pour half a can of beef broth into the beef and onions.
4. While beef is browning, make 8 servings of instant mashed potatoes.**
5. Pour beef mixture into bottom of baking dish. Layer mashed potatoes on top of beef and follow with a generous helping of shredded cheddar cheese.
6. Bake on 350 for 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
**Real mashed potatoes are certainly better when you have time, but Hungry Jack instant mashed potatoes are tasty and convenient.

No comments:

Post a Comment