Thursday, June 7, 2012

Diabetic-Friendly Chocolate Eclair Cake

My husband loves sweets - ice cream, cakes, pies - but he is diabetic, so I am always on the lookout for sugar-free treats!  One of my co-workers made a delicious eclair cake for the teachers on the last day of school.  When I learned the ingredients, I knew I could adapt this one to an almost sugar-free dessert.  I tried it earlier this week, and it was a huge hit at my house!  It makes a 9X13 cake, so there is plenty for the whole family (and any company that may show up) for days!!

Ingredients:
one box honey graham crackers
2-8 oz. tubs of Cool Whip
1 small box sugar free instant chocolate pudding (& skim milk as directed on box)
1 small box sugar free instant vanilla pudding (& skim milk as directed on box)
1 tub sugar free chocolate icing

Directions:
1.  Place a single layer of graham cracker squares on the bottom of a 9X13 cake dish.
2.  Prepare choclate pudding as directed on box.  Fold one tub of Cool Whip into the prepared pudding. (Do not use the mixer.  Folding retains the fluffiness.) Spread pudding mixture over the crackers.



3.  Add another layer of crackers.



4.  Prepare vanilla pudding as directed on box.  Fold the other tub of Cool Whip into the prepared vanilla pudding.  Spread pudding mixture over the crackers.



5.  Add another layer of crackers.



6.  Remove foil from choclate icing.  Heat in microwave for 30 seconds. Stir.  Repeat this process two more times so that icing can be easily spread over the last layer of crackers.  You must move quickly so that the icing doesn't begin to harden until you have a smooth top layer.
ENJOY with a glass of skim milk!  Yum!!

9 comments:

  1. OH MY WORD. Carva, I just bookmarked this recipe and am keeping it safe, my father in law is diabetic so I'm always looking for yummy desserts that I can make for him, this is perfect.

    So glad you found my blog, I'm adding yours to my blog list and will come visit often :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sandra! I am pretty new to blogging, so this is definitely a work in progress. I keep finding myself being led in different directions, so the blog is turning out to be a hodge-podge of different ideas and topics. I know that I have to become a much better photographer in order to really share yummy meal ideas and recipes. I'm learning!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word!!! I have to try this. We are low-carb and my husband was diabetic, but with a controlled diet he has dropped out of the danger zone. This is perfect for us! One question: where do you get SF frosting? I've never seen it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, I believe it is Pillsbury. Walmart Super Centers sell it. They also have sugar-free white icing, yellow cake mix, chocolate cake mix, and brownie mix. The brownies are delicious!!!

      Delete
  4. This looks delicious! I have never seen sugar free frosting! Need to look for some! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. U hv doing such an awesome work on this segment.I am really impressed with your efforts( Fashion apparel)

    ReplyDelete
  7. New follower. Found you through the MS Blogger MOM's! Hope you will hop over and follow along with me as well.

    Merry Christmas,
    Julie @ Hey Mommy, Chocolate Milk
    www.heymommychocolatemilk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to try this because I'm trying to find the right dessert with cool whip and something chocolate but yet sugarfree.

    ReplyDelete