Unlike most nights, we were home this evening with no obligations! The boys enjoyed the beautiful weather by playing outside, and I decided to spend some time in the kitchen cooking a yummy dinner of baked chicken spaghetti. However, the power went out when my chicken was half-boiled, and I was afraid we would be eating Burger King tonight. Fortunately, dinner was saved by the good guys at Coast Electric. This easy recipe is one that my sister gave me several years ago, and it's one of our favorites!
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 12-oz pkg. of whole wheat spaghetti
1 chopped bell pepper
1 chopped onion
(I use Pictsweet Chopped Onions and Bell Peppers to save prep time.)
1 can Rotel tomatoes
1 small block Velveeta, cubed
Optional: 1 can mushrooms and/or 1 can sliced black olives
1. Dice chicken. Boil and remove from water. Save broth to boil spaghetti.
2. While chicken is boiling, saute onions, bell pepper, and Rotel in butter.
3. Cook spaghetti in chicken broth. Drain.
4. Return spaghetti to pot. Add cubed Velveeta to pasta and stir.
5. Add chicken and vegetables (mushrooms & black olives optional). Stir.
6. Pour into large casserole dish and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted.
This recipe can easily be doubled. Bake one pan now, and freeze the other for later. Thaw and bake on 350 for 25-30 minutes until heated through.